Monday, February 8, 2010

Sports & Girls

OK, so I'll be the first one to admit that growing up in the Smith household is difficult. Namely - we are the ONLY Jayhawk fans in our family (minus Gram & Papa who sway on occasion, primarily when the Hawks are on a winning streak!). However, since birth we have done everything possible to brainwash our boys to sport their crimson and blue. Aiden has already been to a KU football and basketball game (and did I mention that he just so happened to spill his sprite all over the K-State fan sitting in front of us...still laughing about that one!). We also deck them out in KU gear - particularly after a big win! And, Aiden also has a KU blanket he sleeps under each night and a KU sign hanging above his bed to give him sweet "hawkish" dreams. Which is why it is only that I can call on my ornery Lindemann roots that I do not understand that anytime a KU game is on tv, Aiden ALWAYS cheers for the other team! Now Aiden does have some very bad Tiger influences from many of his grandparents and aunts, who along the years have tried to teach Aiden that Jayhawks resemble rubber chickens and the like, so you can understand why he is not quite sure where to put his allegiance (I guess he's not old enough to figure out where his college fund is coming from!).

That is where my boss comes into play. My child is SO spoiled that at 4 years old he knows exactly what Starbucks is. To all mothers - do not introduce your children to chocolate milk, and do not let your children know that Starbucks SERVES chocolate milk. I realize that I could simply just say "no", but seriously, how can I feel good about myself while I am sipping my delicious skinny vanilla latte with a drooling thirsty pre-k'er in the back seat! And not to make things worse, but my boss further encourages the spoiling by bringing back the occasional Starbucks chocolate milk for me to take home to Aiden. Needless to say, Mr. Troy is far FAR up on Aiden's list of favorite people. So last week after the KU/K-State stompage, Mr. Troy was asking if Aiden enjoyed the game, which I had to sheepishly respond that Aiden was cheering for none other than the Wildcats. Upon hearing such blasphemy, Mr. Troy said that unless Aiden would change his ways and become a true Jayhawker, the chocolate milk supply was going to get cut off! Needless to say, Aiden was LOUDLY cheering for the Jayhawks against Nebraska this past Saturday and is now saying "Tigers, who?" I guess it is true that a way to a man's heart is through his stomach!

Speaking of sports, what a great Superbowl that we got to share with many of our high school friends last night. Aiden & Kieran had a fantastic time munching on all of the treats they normally do not get to eat - Aiden taking fist fulls of M&Ms. However, I think the highlight of his evening was when he asked our friend Jeff to play Star Wars with him. In surprise, Jeff's 7 yr old daughter eagerly said - "I LOVE Star Wars, can I be Princess Leia?" I seriously thought Aiden was going to get down and propose right there...

No comments:

Post a Comment